Sunday, June 17, 2007

It's Getting HOT

Happy Father's Day!! It's already the third week in June and the big day is coming up fast. Our vacation was canceled, so all the worrying I did about training in my last post was unnecessary. On the bright side, I was able to train with the Arizona Team In Training group this week.

First of all, it is hot in Phoenix! Highs in the triple digits, up to 110F. I met the team for a 4 mile evening run on one of the hottest days of the week. The temperature was 103F when we got started. I kept thinking to myself "This just doesn't seem right". I'm committed though, people with cancer don't give up because it's hot! I did ok at the beginning, but at the end of mile 2, the water I was carrying felt like it was in a pre-boil stage, my left calf muscle was cramping and my stomach was upset. I ate an apple before the run, which is a really bad idea. Scratch off any fruit from the pre-run meal list.

I had a moment of self-doubt that night. What did I get myself into?? I ran four miles, and I felt like I was at my limit. How am I going to run 26.2 miles?? This moment as only temporary. After a good night's rest, I was looking forward to the next evening team run. I am not going to give up, if anything, I will run twice a week in the evening to build up my endurance in the heat. :)

Our long run started at 5am on Saturday, which meant I had to be awake by 3:30am. The weather was very nice, nothing like the sauna I experienced earlier in the week. I had Podrunner in one ear so that I could set a good pace. It worked out really great! By the end of the 7 mile run, I felt like I could've kept going for another four. My confidence is back and I'm excited about my decision.

The only drawback to all the running is the condition of my feet. My big toenail is about to fall off and the bottom of my feet are peeling. Very attractive!! I'm waiting for the day when look down and realize that my feet belong to a cavewoman. I made an amazing discovery to help with my peeling feet though. BODYGLIDE. Best $7 investment I've made so far.

Next week, 10 miles at South Mountain. Rolling hills, it should be interesting...

5 comments:

oldathlete said...

Hi Melody, thanks for not throwing up on one of your bigger donors. Hope you are feeling better.

If it makes you feel any better about running in this hot weather, which is crazy by the way, it also is very hard to play golf in hot weather like this. It seems like the beer cart takes forever to makes its way around the course.

As the race gets closer, if you find that running 26.2 miles is just too much, you might try starting with the group, then taking a cab to the finish. I had a buddy who did that in the first Las Vegas marathon back in the 70's. He didn't get any prizes but he did get more TV time than the winners. I think there is a lesson in there somewhere.

Also, just as an FYI, in case some of us donors are reading this blog during a meal, we probably shouldn't be hearing about the condition of your big toe.

Better go now. Have to work tomorrow to earn more money to have more money to donate.

Be sure to let me know if you ever loosen up your rules about political comment on this blog.

Mr. Almost Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Melody, your doing a great job and most golfers can't even think in 110 degree weather let alone run to the beer cart.

As long as your having fun and enjoy running, the outcome will be positive. I would avoid letting your fund donors use your blog for their person agenda billboard. Mr. Almost Anonymous seems a bit on the shady side and doesn't sound like a runner. Good luck with your training, sorry to hear you canceled your vacation, I'm sure you were disappointed as was your cool, good looking boyfriend.

Melody said...

Hey Oldathlete, Yes, I'm glad I didn't get sick on anyone, it was close though...

My cool, good looking boyfriend was seriously disappointed about our vacation. I think the only way to cheer him up is to go on the 14 mile hike to the lake at Johnson Creek. Or maybe hike up Sandia Peak in Albuquerque, what do you think???

Alistair D'souza said...

i've lost my big toenail while running too... :-) and then I got a blister under the one at the side of it... and eventually that one came off too...

use petroleum jelly in places where there would be friction... during long runs I pour some water into my shoes.... not sure if thats the right thing to do but it did save me from getting too many blisters.....

Melody said...

Thanks Alistair for the advice. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a toenail problem. :) I do need bigger shoes, so I'm going to buy a new pair and see if that helps.