Thursday, June 7, 2007

Vacation Time!!

Vacations are awesome, unless you are training for a marathon. Thoughts about training keep popping up in my head. Where and when will I run? What if I don't run, will I lose all the training I've done so far??

We are getting ready for our yearly camping trip to Idaho and Montana. We will be flying in Mark's Cessna 182 to West Yellowstone, then maybe to Schafer, MT, and on to Johnson Creek, ID. It's hard to train on our vacation when the major event on the agenda is hammock time. Going on a solo run is not a good idea, not because I'm afraid of being abducted by someone, but mostly because I'm afraid of bears, cougars, and moose. I don't run very fast, and I don't know if can pretend to be dead when being mauled by a bear! But if I can get some cardio fitness at the higher altitude, then it would be great prep for the training runs in Phoenix.

We went to Springerville, AZ (elev. 7000ft) this past weekend. I packed my running shoes, extra clothes, and a water bottle. What did I do? I pulled weeds for about a half hour, climbed the driveway a couple of times (14% grade, I'd like to point out) and my heart was beating in my ears. Exhausted and out of breath, I read my book for the rest of the day. I wrote it off to being a recovery day. It's amazing how the elevation change can make such a difference in endurance.

Very special thanks to the Team In Training donors. Almost halfway there!!! To Mr. Anonymous, thank you for your donation, you can now post your comments in the blog. Just remember, no politics. Running jokes are allowed. ;)

2 comments:

oldathlete said...

Just a little housekeeping detail for this message. You didn't go on vacation so this message is null and void right?

Did you know that if you want to try to understand where someone is coming from in an argument, you should trying running a mile in their shoes? It works great, because, if after you've run a mile if you still disagree with them, it's OK. You're a mile away from them AND you have their shoes!

Melody said...

No, this post still applies. We'll go to ID and MT sometime in July (I hope!). Even in AZ, I still have to worry about bears, cougars, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, javalinas, foxes, squirrels and jackalope when running solo.