Thursday, July 19, 2007

Longest Run So Far

I am happy to report that training is going well. A couple of weeks ago, our team ran the longest distance so far... 13.5 miles. Yup, a half marathon!! We started out at Freestone park and ended up on Germann road in Chandler. It struck me as such an accomplishment to run to Germann road since I knew how far outside of the "city" this was at one time. I remember when this part of Chandler was full of dairy farms and fields. It was quite a smell! Now the dairy farms have been replaced by overpasses, apartments, and subdivisions. Can you believe Phoenix and surrounding area population grew by over 115,000 residents in one year? Whoa! That is huge!

I signed up for the Big Brothers Big Sisters half marathon in Flagstaff, AZ. Hmmm.. What did I get myself into???? It must have been after a really good run that I decided to do this. I tried running at 7000ft this past weekend, it was NOT easy. After my intense, gut wrenching run in Eagar, I decided to read what the Flagstaff half marathon was all about. "STEEP hill to the observatory where they discovered Pluto". OMG, I am going to die!! The good thing is I'll be able to see San Francisco Peaks at all times while gasping for air!

I decided to do it anyway, what the heck. I'm not looking for a Personal Record, I'm just doing it for the experience. It's too late in my life to try to be the fastest runner in the world. I might as well enjoy the view. :)

No comments: