Sunday, August 12, 2007

I Survived!!

Yesterday I ran the 30th Annual Big Brothers Big Sisters Half Marathon in Flagstaff, AZ. According to my GPS, we started at 6900ft, peaked at 7700ft, and returned back to the starting point of 6900ft. Oxygen deprivation was a major concern for me since I had experienced overexertion during a bike ride at Flagstaff a few years earlier. I met up with Amy and Connie both part of the Team In Training group. As we waited for the start, I realized that the racers lining up to start were definitely not amateurs. But I wasn’t there to win, I was there to train and have fun with my first trail race.

The first two miles of the race were definitely the hardest. The terrain wasn’t too bad, but the hills were a killer. I had a 15 min/mile pace going up the first hill. I was sort of running, but I should have saved all the energy it took to bounce up and down in a semi-jog and just walk up the hill. There was no chance in hell the semi-jog was going to take me up the second hill. All the runners basically dropped in to low gear (aka walking) and hiked up the hill. The rest of the course was pretty awesome, we ran through the trees, out to the meadow and back through the trees. I’m disappointed because the flyer said something about a scenic view of the San Francisco Peaks throughout the route. I was concentrating so hard on my foot placement, I forgot to look for the peaks!

The first eight miles were tough on the heart and lungs, but I was managing. Around mile 9, the blisters forming on my toes and on my arches were starting to sting. It felt like I had sandpaper between my toes with every step I took. When I stopped at the water stations, it took a lot of effort just to get started again. But I had to do it, I had to run. I reminded myself where I was, and how fortunate I was to be able to run in the forest without worrying about muggers or bears. In other words, I felt safe. :) Maybe it was a false sense of security, but it gave me enough confidence to enjoy the run.

Two hours and twenty-two minutes later I finished. I walked (more like hobbled) as fast as I could to Wheeler Park so I could take off my shoes and inspect the damage. No bloody socks, imagine that! I would have bet $100 that I had ruptured some blisters with that run. I found maybe one or two tiny blisters, but my feet still felt like they were on fire. This is a little scary because if I start to have this type of pain after the first 8 miles of the full marathon, I would be very disappointed. So I’m on a quest for some good advice to reduce friction and blisters during long distance running. I still have a couple more months of training, so I will be doing some experimentation. Check out the Big Brothers Big Sisters race results and pictures at www.natra.org.

I signed up for another half marathon in Nutrioso, AZ on September 15, 2007. This race starts at 7500ft and ends at about 7000ft. The flyer says there is a majestic hill at mile 10. Looks more like a killer hill to me. http://www.whitemountainhalfmarathon.com/ Wish me luck… :)

A quick update on my fundraising for Team In Training. I am over ¾ of the way to meeting my fundraising goal of $4000, thanks to each and every one of you! I have recommitted to the team and the planning is underway. It is going to be an amazing event with so many people dedicated to the cause. I will be sure to update you on the event and our team totals!

Until next time…

2 comments:

NATRA blog said...

Melody, noticed a hit on our website from your blog. I think you captured our race perfectly for a first timer from the valley. You have to do it again and look up in the Meadow!!!!

Regards, Neil Weintraub, Race Director, Big Brothers Big Sisters Half Marathon

Melody said...

Hi Neil, Thanks for the awesome event! It was a fun and challenging course. I will definitely do it again next year.