Friday, October 5, 2007

The Running Experiment

Time is flying by as we get closer to the Nike Women's Marathon on October 21. My posts to the blog have taken a backseat since we've been increasing our weekly mileage. I never meant for running to take over my life. What I eat, what I wear, what I pack in my gymbag, what my workouts will be for the week. All this planning takes up most of the time outside of my full-time job. That's where the elite runners have the advantage. Personal coaches, unlimited supply to running gear and supplements, and the job of running. Where do I apply??? But just like any other job, the grass is always greener on the other side. I use running to escape the stress and to relax. After running, I have a fresh perspective on problems or I can even solve a couple during a good run. But can you run to escape the job of running? My guess is that there are professional runners who take up computer programming as a hobby. :)

Running gear and supplements. How much money do you have? I've been experimenting with both. My socks were a big deal since I was getting blisters between my toes. A fellow runner with TNT suggested the Injinji toe socks (www.injinji.com). I bought a couple of pairs and they are really awesome for the long runs. I still use bandaids on my toes (along with the socks) and I am very excited to be blister-free! Compression shorts: Compression shorts are supposedly a good choice for endurance activities. I thought I'd give it a try if it would help me achieve a good finish time (heh-heh). The shorts I bought were a little too tight around the waist, but overall my lower back and abs were not sore after a 20-mile run. I don't know that it makes a huge difference though. I'll probably stick with the one pair and not buy an entire new running wardrobe consisting of compression shorts. Gels: I've tried a few during my training with TNT. Gu, PowerGel, and Accel Gel. I still like Accel Gel because I'm a sucker for advertisement. ("Improves endurance by xxx%, improves recovery, blah blah blah"). Seriously though, I found a flavor that doesn't make me sick. The placebo effect doesn't hurt either. If I think it's helping, then it is helping....

So now that I've tried and tested all of these products, I should expect to run the marathon like I'm floating on clouds, with lots of energy, and zero pain! I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Alistair D'souza said...

Hey Melody.. All the best for the marathon... have fun..

I'll be going for a half marathon on 28th Oct. Aim is to complete it in less than 2 hours... http://vdhm.indiatimes.com/default1.cms
They claim its the world's richest half marathon... i.e. in prize money.. which I'm not going to get :-)
my sis plans to run with me.. says she will drop out after a few kms...
I have to run a 1 hour 20 mins run by this weekend... did 7 kms easily today in 38 mins...

Have lost some weight so am able to run longer... :-) actually I had been cycling in the mountains in Jammu and Kashmir in Northern most India...

http://www.leh-ladakh.com/
http://leh.nic.in/

The trip was for 9 days… out of which there was cycling for 5 days… on average we cycled for 40 kms a day… climbing up at that altitude is a bit tiring. Altitude ranged between 10000 to 12000 feet… we trekked till 13500 feet... and had then been to the highest motorable road in the world which is at 18300 feet... we went there by a vehicle... on the way we saw some ppl cycling up.... thought they were crazy to even attempt it...

Here are the Leh pics…. I moved from yahoo to shutterfly…

Main site: http://alistairdsouza.shutterfly.com/action/

Leh pictures (main ones) : http://alistairdsouza.shutterfly.com/action/pictures;jsessionid=3AF232B17C315618953C1E9A0E20F189?a=67b0de21b356b2726544

Pics of a kid… I clicked 30+ snaps in 5 minutes…. Probably one of the happiest ppl I have seen in years. http://alistairdsouza.shutterfly.com/action/pictures;jsessionid=3AF232B17C315618953C1E9A0E20F189?a=67b0de21b3565d80a469

Complete Leh pictures: http://alistairdsouza.shutterfly.com/action/pictures;jsessionid=3AF232B17C315618953C1E9A0E20F189?a=67b0de21b3565de8a401

Alistair D'souza said...

also what you mentioned about marathons helping you to solve problems is sooo true.... sometimes I just run with some issues I have in my head and then running that long makes me feel that I can solve it or it provides me a soln :-) makes me think clearly and without prejudice..